The European Professional Card (EPC) is an electronic procedure you can use to have your professional qualifications recognised in another EU country. It is easier and quicker to manage than traditional qualification recognition procedures, and more transparent: you can keep track of your application on-line and re-use already uploaded documents to start new applications for different countries.
For the moment, you can use the EPC procedure only if you are:
- a nurse responsible for general care
- a pharmacist
- a physiotherapist
- a mountain guide
- a real estate agent
Other professionals will have to rely on standard procedures to have their professional qualifications recognised. In the future, the EPC procedure may be extended to other professions.
You can use the EPC procedure if:
- you want to practise your profession in another EU country on a temporary and occasional basis (temporary mobility) OR
- you want to settle in another EU country and practise your profession there permanently (establishment)
The EPC is not a physical card. It is the electronic proof that you have passed administrative checks and your professional qualifications have been recognised by the country you want to work in (host country), or that you have met the conditions to provide services temporarily in that country.
When an application is approved, you will be able to generate an EPC certificate in pdf format. This will also include a reference number your prospective employer can use to check your EPC’s validity online.
If you plan to settle in the country long-term (establishment) you may also need to register with a professional body or undergo additional checks before starting to practise your profession. Check with the national authorities whether this is required in your case.
Advantages of the European Professional Card
- Your home country authorities will assist you with your application and check that it is correct and complete. They will also certify the authenticity and validity of your documents.
- If in the future, whether you want to make a request to settle long-term or provide services temporarily in another country, your file will already exist in the system and you will not need to upload all the documents again. This will save you time on subsequent applications.
- If the host country authorities in charge of your application do not take a final decision within the appropriate deadline, recognition will be granted automatically and you will be able to generate an EPC certificate.
More info here