Up to six more cases of sexual abuse of children by European troops have been uncovered by UN staff in Central African Republic, the body’s human rights chief has said, a mentioned in Guardian.
Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein’s office said a UN team interviewed girls who claimed their abusers were part of European Union and French military operations. The abuse allegedly took place near a camp for displaced people near Bangui airport.
The office of the UN high commissioner for human rights said on Friday the alleged victims “believed their abusers were members of the Georgian EUFOR contingent”. The alleged abuse took place in 2014 but only came to light in recent weeks.
It said Al Hussein raised the cases with the European, Georgian and French authorities last week, as well as talking to representatives of another country about a similar allegation for which additional corroboration is needed.